The Android 4.1 Jelly Bean update is now available for Motorola's Droid Razr handsets with unofficial CyanogenMod 10 ROM with support for Project Butter technology. Since the locked bootloader of the Motorola Droid Razr, it is a bit difficult to perform the installation. However, Android developers are trying very hard to crack the BootROM of the device, and hopefully a custom ROM would be available soon.
For the time being, we have an unofficial CM10 for Droid Razr with a faster and smoother interface. The update has some new features like advanced voice recognition, a smarter keyboard, offline voice typing and a faster stock browser. While CM10 already has a proven track record, the new update is one of the best unofficial Jelly Bean updates, released up to now. However, you should be aware that the ROM is still in its developing phases and may not be fully functional.
- Hardware Acceleration
Features still unavailable
- Camera/camcorder functionality
Requirements for the installation
The following procedure will only work on Motorola Droid Razr and will probably not work on any other phone.
Remember to backup all the data and APN settings. The installation will erase it all.
Installing Jelly Bean Update on Motorola Droid Razr (CM10)
- Make sure that ClockWorkMod (CWM) recovery is installed on your device.
- Download the latest version of CyanogenMod ROM – you can find it here.
- Download The Google Application package from here.
- Copy both files to the SD card. (If you downloaded them via your PC)
- Turn off the phone and boot into CWM recovery by pressing Power and Volume Down buttons. Navigate to the “recovery” icon using the Volume Down button and select it using the power button.
- Select Wipe Data/Factory Reset. Confirm and wait until the process is complete.
- Choose the install.zip from SD card. Locate the ROM file on card and select. Confirm installation by choosing “Yes”.
- Upon the installation process, choose install.zip from SD card again and on this occasion, select kernel files to install.
- After the kernel installation, select gapps-jb-20120717-signed.zip from the SD card to install the Google Apps package.
- After installation process is finished, reboot the phone and boot into CM10. Take note that the first boot could take up to 5 minutes.
Once the phone boots to home screen or the desktop, it will confirm successful installation of Jelly Bean.
Edit - The link to Gapps has been updated.. Thanks for informing guys!!
Fast & Smooth - Android 4.1, Jelly Bean (YouTube)