It is currently 23 Oct 2014 13:28 Advanced search

Motorola Atrix 4G with laptop dock: First Opinion

All latest News/Features about Motorola Atrix 4G find here.

Postby strawfox » 17 Mar 2011 18:12

First Opinion on the Motorola Atrix 4G with laptop dock. It's one of the first laptop dock desgined especially for use with a smartphone. It's kind of cool, as it reduces loose hanging calls when connecting your smartphone to your laptop. It's perfect for using it during a tethered 3G connection.
Motorola made a splash at the CES early this year with the Atrix 4G phone running Android. The phone is a state-of-the-art handset, but what caught everyone’s attention was the laptop dock option. This dock is a thin laptop shell that uses the CPU, memory, storage and connectivity of the phone to turn the dock into a mobile workstation. I have been using the Atrix 4G and laptop dock combo for a few days and offer my first Opinion of the unique mobile solution.

A couple of years ago I had the good fortune to have a private conversation with Dr. Sanjay Jha, CEO of Motorola. It was a great exchange of ideas about the future of the smartphone, and at one point I mentioned I felt that phones were becoming so powerful they would soon be full-fledged computers. Jha responded with a twinkle in his eye that Motorola was working on innovative mobile solutions involving the smartphone as the brain, and that I hadn’t seen anything yet. Having used the Atrix 4G/laptop dock combination, I have little doubt this is what he was referring to in that conversation.

Image Image Image

Phone
The Atrix 4G handset is an Android phone running version 2.2 with the MotoBlur interface. It is the most powerful phone I have used, and stuffed with hardware components that would make any mobile enthusiast happy. The dual-core Nvidia processor drives things without lagginess, and the high-resolution display is as sharp as that on any phone currently available. The Atrix 4G is available with the laptop dock and also with a webtop dock for use as a desktop/multimedia computer.

All Android Version Review [Android 2.2 is now the dominant version of Google's OS with 61.3 percent of all active devices

Considering that we're about nine months removed from Google's release of Froyo, you'd expect that version of its mobile OS to have been distributed quite widely by now and indeed it has. 61.3 percent of (the many) active Android devices -- handsets and tablets, anything with access to the Market is eligible -- worldwide are now running version 2.2, making it the most prevalent iteration of the software at the moment. Even more encouraging news is that, when taken together with Android 2.1, that group swells to account for more than 90 percent of active Google devices. If you want to look at the reverse, rather moldy, side of the coin, however, you'll note that the latest mobile version of the OS, Gingerbread (2.3), is only on 1 percent of devices, while the absolute finest Android, Honeycomb (3.0), barely scrapes a couple tenths of a percent together. So yes, things are moving inexorably forward, just not as rapidly as some might have hoped.

Phone specifications:

* CPU: Nvidia Tegra 2 dual-core, 1 GHz
* Memory: 16 GB
* Display: 4-inch, 960×540
* Ports: microUSB, HDMI, 3.5 mm headphone
* Cameras: 1.3 MP front, 5 MP rear
* Dimensions: 2.5 x 4.6 x 0.4 inches, 4.75 ounces
* Connectivity (as reviewed): WiFi a/b/g/n, Bluetooth 2.1, DLNA, GPS
* Special software: Webtop application, Firefox (laptop mode only)

Laptop dock:

At first glance this dock is a thin laptop with a screen, keyboard and oversized trackpad. While that is a reasonable impression, the dock is a shell waiting for the phone to be plugged into the stand that unfolds from the back of the laptop. The dock has no CPU, memory, storage nor any integrated connectivity; those are all supplied by the phone when docked.

* Display: 11.6-inch, 1366×768
* Ports: 2-USB (for peripherals)
* CPU, memory, storage, OS: None
strawfox

Re: Motorola Atrix 4G with laptop dock: First Opinion

Postby a1terego » 17 Mar 2011 18:49

Love this phone but has two big problems:

1. AT&T
2. Laptop dock is expensive.
a1terego

Re: Motorola Atrix 4G with laptop dock: First Opinion

Postby daizy22 » 17 Mar 2011 18:52

layers are glued together to fight parasitic refraction. While Atrix 4G screen lacks in at least these three areas.

And iPhone 4 is not plasticky.

Applications' choice is weaker for Atrix phone, AirPlay is not available as well.
daizy22

• Advertisement

Return to Motorola Atrix 4G News